The Washington Master Chorale, a vibrant, sixty-voice professional and volunteer chorus noted for its innovative presentation of choral works of the 20thand 21st centuries, seeks a leader for the position of part-time Managing Director to help advance the organization’s growth.
The Managing Director (MD) will be the chief administrator assisted by two or three part time administrative staff members. The MD will report to the board of directors through the chair of the board, and will serve as a co-equal partner with the Artistic Director (AD) in the leadership of the organization. WMC presents three to four major concerts annually, plus an annual benefit dinner and two or three cultivation events each year. The organization maintains an annual budget of $200K.
The organization seeks candidates who are detail oriented, with demonstrated skill in data management and administration, a background and/or education in performing arts/nonprofit management and a demonstrated knowledge of business management, marketing, and donor engagement. The candidate must be excited about the mission of the Washington Master Chorale (WMC), and be in a position to help the organization grow.
Marketing and Organizational Growth Duties:
- Develop, direct and implement all institutional marketing initiatives including speaking engagements, video web series, interdisciplinary collaborations with embassies, museums, arts organizations, etc.
- Implement all programmatic marketing (call to action marketing around events such as our concerts) and take ownership of the public-facing touchpoints (i.e. the website and all digital and traditional media).
- Manage the Washington Master Chorale website, add videos to the Washington Master Chorale YouTube channel, create and send external emails to the subscribers via Mailchimp, and manage other social media sites such as Facebook.
- Oversee the timely production of concert programs, from assembly, to drafts to printing, with inputs from the graphic designer, AD, and Artistic Administrator
- Serve as development director for the organization, assisting Board Chair, Board, and AD with stewardship of donors, helping to maintain donor lists, and communicating with donors regarding special donor benefits and invitations to special events.
- Generate monthly solicitation letters for gift renewals.
- Broadly oversee and assist Patron Services Manager as needed.
- In coordination with the Board Chair, schedule regular meetings of the Board, and, assisted by volunteers, ensure all the board materials are updated and maintained in a timely manner.
- Assume primary responsibility for grants, assisted by the part time Grants Administrator, in consultation with the AD.
Business Management Duties:
- Assume responsibility for the organization’s season schedule, hiring, and overall organizational budget, (including maintaining the artistic budget) and supervise the contracting and timely payment of all professional artistic personnel as directed by the Board Chair and the Artistic Director (AD), including all professional singers, instrumentalists, composers, outside speakers, and guest artists and contracted services.
- In coordination with the WMC bookkeeper, ensure timely filing of all IRS, state, and D.C. filings for maintenance of WMC’s tax-exempt, non-profit status.
- Maintain, renew, and update (as needed) WMC insurance policies.
- In coordination with the WMC bookkeeper, ensure timely payroll completion for contract staff as well as for concert personnel.
- In coordination with the AD and the Music Librarian, oversee the process of selection and procurement of published music manuscripts, and file regular event reports with and pay licensing fees to ASCAP and BMI.
- Oversee all venue contracts.
- Schedule regular piano tunings at rehearsal and performance venues.
Chorus Management Duties
- On dress rehearsals and concert days, act as logistical point of contact at venues for chorus and guest musicians in coordination with Chorus Manager and Manager.
- Supported by the Chorus Manager, oversee the creation an annual rehearsal schedule/season calendar in coordination with the AD and the Board,
- Be present to support the Chorus Manager and Patron Services Manager at all WMC public events, including choir concerts, chamber choir performances, and annual benefit dinners.
Compensation: This position is part-time with responsibilities that will take an average of 20 hours per week (more or less seasonally, dependent on program) and comes with a $26,000-$32,500 annual salary. The MD will work primarily from their home office, and regular availability will be required on weekday afternoons during business hours. The MD’s presence will be required in the evenings at all board meetings and rehearsals, and on a few weekends annually for dress rehearsals, performances, and special events.
Please email a cover letter and resume to James Muldrow at email@example.com.