Working closely with the BSO Choral Director and Conductor of the Tanglewood Festival Chorus, this position oversees the Choral Department of the BSO, including management of the Tanglewood Festival Chorus (TFC) and any additional BSO choral ensembles or choral activities. This position is the principal representative of the Choral Department at inter-departmental BSO meetings and with relevant external organizations.
- Oversee the BSO Choral Department
- Assist the BSO Choral Director in:
- Recruiting and auditioning new members of the TFC and additional choral ensembles, with particular focus on broadening the diversity of membership of ensembles
- Setting the rosters of singers for the season’s activities
- Developing rehearsal schedules and securing suitable rehearsal spaces
- Engaging rehearsal pianists, substitute conductors, and diction coaches as needed
- Administrative tasks, including correspondence, library requests, score procurement, and the creation/acquisition of singer resources (translations, pronunciation guides, etc.)
- Work with BSO and Pops Artistic Administrators and the production staff to realize the choral programming for each concert season (BSO Winter Season, Holiday Pops, Spring Pops, and Tanglewood), as well as any special events including July 4th performances, galas, special engagements, memorial services, fundraising events, etc.
- Develop and manage the BSO Choral Department budget. Track budget throughout the fiscal year and re-forecast as needed; process all payments
- Communicate with the TFC and other choral ensembles on significant issues, as well as day-to-day matters, including rosters, schedules, attendance, season announcements and press releases, policies and procedures, etc.
- Facilitate the audition and re-audition processes, including advertising, scheduling, and communication of results, and any related logistics
- Oversee the maintenance of Choral Department files, including audition forms, membership databases, and Chorus Connection member sites
- Oversee the organization and maintenance of the choral library: label scores, distribute and collect scores. Organize the timeline for the acquisition, organization, and distribution of scores.
- Oversee the organization of the Chorus Room in preparation for choral activities
- Oversee chorus services and do concert duty, as needed, working with any seasonal or part-time choral staff. Nighttime and weekend work is required.
- Plan and manage any long-term and/or special choral projects beyond those featuring the TFC or other choral ensembles, in conjunction with the BSO Choral Director and other BSO departments, as needed
- Plan, oversee, and manage TFC and other choral ensemble tours and Tanglewood residencies, including housing and accommodations, transportation, meals, and per diems
- Be conversant with and help implement best practices in relation to the pastoral care of younger members of choral ensembles, and of the TFC, as needed.
- Act as the principal liaison between the Choral Department and chorus committees, including the TFC Committee. Engage committees in planning and communication, regularly attend meetings and follow-up on issues, and help maintain a productive relationship between the committees and BSO Management, with special emphasis on recruiting new members to the BSO choral ensembles.
- Assist with the development and management of an alumni singer program, working with other BSO departments and chorus committees
- Manage complimentary ticket requests from chorus members, whenever these may be made available by the BSO Marketing Department
- Assist with the planning and coordination of the Winter Season and Tanglewood TFC parties including catering, entertainment, invitations, and speeches with the Chorus Committee leadership
- Supervise guest chorus appearances with the BSO
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. The Boston Symphony Orchestra is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and encourages applications from female and minority candidates.
To prevent the infection and spread of COVID-19, and as an integral part of its public health and safety measures, Boston Symphony Orchestra requires that all successful applicants show proof of full vaccination by an FDA-approved (either fully or for emergency use) COVID-19 vaccine before beginning employment, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted. Applicants who believe they need an accommodation of this policy because of a disability, sincerely-held religious belief, or otherwise should inform Human Resources after an offer of employment is extended; please do not include any medical, genetic, or religious information on your application materials.
Manager of Choral Activites
Health, Dental, Vision, Retirement, Life, and other benefits.
To apply, please visit the following link: https://bso.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/BSO/job/Boston/Manager-of-Choral-Activ…
or view our Jobs section at our website https://www.bso.org.