The Cleveland Orchestra is currently seeking an Assistant Director of the Cleveland Orchestra Children’s Chorus who will assist in preparing the Children’s Chorus for all performances, both with and without The Cleveland Orchestra. This individual will also serve as the Director of the Children’s Preparatory Chorus.
The Cleveland Orchestra Children's Choruses are treble ensembles affiliated with The Cleveland Orchestra. The Children's Chorus (COCC), open to students in grades 6 through 9, performs annually on Cleveland Orchestra Christmas concerts and major orchestral works at Severance Hall. The Preparatory Chorus (COCPC), open to students in grades 5 through 8, focuses on establishing a foundation of vocal technique, music literacy, and musicianship.
The Cleveland Orchestra Children’s Chorus currently meets once weekly for two hours. Additional evening rehearsals are required in weeks with orchestra services for subscription concerts. The Preparatory Chorus meets once weekly for 90 minutes. A typical season begins in September and ends in mid-May. The Children’s Chorus is also occasionally called upon to perform major symphonic works in the summer months at Blossom Music Center.
The responsibilities of this part-time position include the following:
- In collaboration with the Director of Children’s Choruses, recruit, audition, and train singers to achieve the highest artistic level.
- Prepare and conduct Cleveland Orchestra Children’s Preparatory Chorus rehearsals.
- Select repertoire for COCPC performances.
- Promote and further the Children’s Choruses programs under the direction of the Director of Choruses and Director of Children’s Choruses.
- Attend COCC rehearsals, warm-ups, and performances, including those with The Cleveland Orchestra, in accordance with a schedule mutually agreed upon with the Director of Children’s Choruses.
- To be prepared to lead COCC services that the Director of Children’s Choruses cannot attend.
- Participate in outreach programs in the Greater Cleveland area schools to raise general music awareness.
The successful candidate will meet the following qualifications:
- Broad knowledge of choral/orchestral repertoire.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the developing voice, healthy vocal production and dynamic choral rehearsal techniques.
- Experience working with young singers.
- Advanced music degree.
- Positive, professional attitude in the execution of the responsibilities of the position.
Assistant Director of Cleveland Orchestra Children's Chorus/Director of Children's Preparatory Chorus
Please apply through our website at https://www.clevelandorchestra.com/About/Auditions-and-Careers/Staff-Employment/. Applications must include:
- Cover letter
- Three letters of recommendation
- A link to a video recording primarily demonstrating a choral rehearsal with young singers. Performance footage may also be used, but entire video should be no more than 20 minutes long. The video should provide a frontal view of the candidate.
UPDATE: We realize that recent school closures may prohibit the recording of recent videos. We do not want this to impede the application process. If you have older videos of a similar nature or audio of previous performances, you may submit them instead. If you have any questions or concerns about the video submission, please contact Jill Harbaugh at email@example.com. The previously scheduled finalist audition on April 25th has been cancelled.