The Colorado Children’s Chorale, independently and in collaboration with other performing arts institutions, presents professional choral concerts and educational programs that entertain, inspire and bring joy to audiences and communities. Children of all ethnicities and socioeconomic backgrounds thrive in an engaging, disciplined and nurturing environment in which they receive outstanding performance and music training, as well as the skills, experiences and confidence to succeed wherever their lives may take them. Since 1974 the Colorado Children’s Chorale has brought its artistry and charm to audiences throughout the world. With a diverse repertoire ranging from fully-staged opera and musical theater to standard choral compositions in classical, folk and popular traditions, the Chorale performs with an innovative stage presentation and a unique theatrical spirit.
The Performance Program consists of a series of self-produced concerts, hired presentations, numerous performances with other arts organizations including the Colorado Symphony Orchestra, Aspen Music Festival, Central City Opera and Opera Colorado, and performance tours, by invitation, across Colorado, nationally and internationally, with more than 100 performances each season. In addition, the Chorale’s mission includes its multi-faceted Education Programs with weekly choral music and performance training opportunities in targeted schools, led by the Chorale conducting staff. The Education Program also includes a series of school performances and workshops and the annual Youth Performances at the Denver Performing Arts Center. This unique program was awarded a NEA grant and received an Education/Outreach Award from Chorus America. The artistic staff consists of three full-time conductors plus one half-time conductor, as well as a large staff of part-time accompanists, choreographers and music assistants.
As a member of a collaborative artistic team, the Assistant Conductor directs a training choir, assists all performance and training choirs, implements education programs as assigned, manages the music library, and serves as an assistant to the full-time Production Manager for the logistical, technical, and supply needs for all rehearsals, performances, camps, and tours.
This position begins Summer 2020.
- Collaboratively direct training choir in weekly rehearsals and all performances;
- Direct Education Programs including school partnerships, community choir programs, and special projects as assigned;
- Assist with all aspects of artistic activities including conducting performing choirs, performance camps and touring, preparing small ensembles or soloists for other arts organizations, recruitment, and auditions;
- Manage music library including music ordering, preparation, filing, and maintenance;
- Prepare program information for concerts, quarterly ASCAP & BMI reports, and oversee production of annual archival recordings;
- Maintain attendance records and parent communications;
- In collaboration with the Production Manager, facilitate technical, logistical, and supply needs for rehearsals and performances as assigned.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Choral Conducting, Music Education, or Vocal Performance;
- Passion for, and experience working with, children;
- Strong belief in/understanding of the benefits of a performance-based educational program;
- Strong knowledge of vocal production and choral technique;
- Competence in and commitment to a variety of musical styles including classical, contemporary, folk, musical theatre and opera;
- Able to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment;
- Full-time position, with ability and desire for extended travel;
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and some physical work required.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
The Colorado Children’s Chorale is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We believe that having a board and staff with diverse personal and professional backgrounds enhances our ability to meet our mission and creates an environment where all members of our community can thrive. The Chorale does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status. We are committed to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment.
For more info, visit: childrenschorale.org
This is a full-time position. Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
Benefits include: health, dental, vision, life insurance available; 401k; paid vacation; professional conference opportunities.
Candidates must submit the following materials electronically in PDF format:
- Cover letter
- Three professional references
Email application materials to the Colorado Children’s Chorale (include “Assistant Conductor Application” in subject line) no later than April 3, 2020 to: email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
If needed: Colorado Children’s Chorale, 2420 W. 26th Ave., Suite 350-D, Denver, CO 80211